Making The Best Of It

Well our long weekend turned out nothing like we had planned. Here in Canada, Victoria Day weekend or “May Long” as most call it, is the unofficial kick off to the summer. We planned on spending it camping, until the accident that is. On our way home Thursday we planned an alternative activity with the kids that kept us in Calgary and close to dad. Calaway Park! It’s an amusement park just outside the city limits and Saturday was this years opening day. Our friends Adam and Jess and their kids decided to join us and my cousin Brittney brought our other cousins kids. We figured a day trip was better than the kids being cooped up in a hospital all weekend.

Friday night I packed lunches because I refuse to spend a fortune buying food for 6.


Enough sandwiches??

We were up and out the door by 9am Saturday morning. On the way up Brandon called to tell us he was at the hospital and dad was awake and communicating! This was great news! At about 1230 we arrived at the park, Britt was already there with 3 kids, one of whom she had already briefly lost haha


I had to get a shot at the entrance gates

The kids made a beeline for their favorite ride “the log ride” I don’t think that’s actually what it’s called. Of course the first ride of the day soaked us and my freshly straightened hair was toast. (Anyone that knows me knows this is a big deal haha) Off to the next ride we went and by this time it was getting mighty hot.


Reegs opted out of a ride so we selfied instead

The kids tried their best to get me on the roller coaster but no way that was happening. Brad was a total sucker though….


Away he goes


This is the one and only roller coaster I’ve ever done and I was in the 4th grade.

While Brad, the boys, Adam, Jess and their son Dayson did the coaster, me and Britt took the other kids to the swinging ship.


Our 2 groups met up at the swing ride where Brad informed me he was sick from the roller coaster. Of course I laughed at him. Next the boys decided to hit up a basketball game to try and win themselves some new bballs



By this time the kids were hungry so we went out to the vehicle to eat lunch and met back up with everyone at the bumper boats. Another water based attraction.


Waiting in line, getting a sunburn 


We did a few more rides, the bumper cars and the haunted house before we realized it was almost closing time and we wanted to get to the hospital soon to see dad. The kids wanted to do the “drop” ride, a ride that lifts you in the air and then drops you down several times in a row, and the the log ride before we left and we happily agreed.


One of the few rides I like 


We couldn’t resist this on our travels through the park

The log ride has a camera that snaps the riders pics on the biggest drop and some of the facial expressions are absolutely hilarious. The boys made me a deal that they would do something hilarious if I promised to buy the picture afterwards. They did not disappoint.


Best $10 ever spent!!

Now of course I had to buy the girls which was also pretty hilarious.


And so Jess bought the one of me, her and Dayson



After this we bought a treat for the road and headed to the hospital to see dad.

Along the way we passed Calgary Olympic Park where Eddie the Eagle and the Jamaican bobsled team both competed, the children were pretty amazed they could actually see the ski jump and bobsled tracks.

We were pleasantly surprised to see dad awake when we got to the hospital even though we weren’t sure just how alert he really was, I found out in a hurry when I made a comment I thought he couldn’t hear from across the room and he flipped me the bird! I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry but I was sure happy to see it! He was in rough shape on the outside but still the same guy on the inside. We spent a couple hours visiting the best we could with dad considering he was still intebated and the boys found a bball court on the hospital grounds


It was getting late and we were all starving so we promised dad we would be back in the morning and headed to Jess’ dad’s condo that he was generously letting us use. We ordered pizza, set up air mattresses and finally got to sleep around midnight.

Sunday morning we had to wake all of the kids up so they had time to eat and get ready to see grandpa. He was doing even better! We had a great visit even though all he could do was mouth words and use motions. It was like a really long game of charades. He managed to tell us he felt like an elephant was sitting on his chest and we had to tell him he had heart surgery. He was totally shocked! Every time we would tell him about an injury or surgery he had, he would mouth “no shit” haha he even made us show him the pics of his demolished truck. He couldn’t believe it and made a sad face. The girls had lots of fun with the nurse because she let them put on gloves and change his cold cloths and ice packs


Dad was extremely hot and was making us keep him cool any way we could find


Fanning him with their hats.

We eventually went for lunch but came right back to visit for a couple more hours. We faced timed with Brandon and Morgan, their girls and mom so they could see how well dad was doing. I, of course had a hard time containing my tears, I was so relieved he was making progress. After awhile dad started drifting off so we figured it was time to head back home so he could rest until the next day when mom was coming back up.

Earlier in the week I had noticed the hospital was right by McMahon stadium, home of the CFL team the Calgary Stampeders and I thought it would be fun to just stop and let the kids take a look at the front of it at the very least. We lucked out and found someone that told us where the gate was open so we could go in and take a closer look


Turns out we weren’t supposed to be on the turf and after about 5 minutes someone came out and told us so. Boy did we feel silly


I quickly lined the kids up for somewhat of an end zone pic and we got back in our truck for our long drive home.

Even though it wasn’t what we originally planned, we were happy to see dad getting better and we’re very happy to spend the weekend with him. We did what we could in our situation and I think our kids came away with some good times and pretty great memories.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s